Plaza Livery Stable
The Plaza Stable is a large frame, false-fronted structure with a bracketed cornice. San Juan Bautista enjoyed great prosperity during the mid to late 1800’s. Gold and silver had been found in California and San Juan Bautista was a major crossroad between the large cities of San Francisco and Los Angeles from which many would be miners. The Plaza Livery Stable was built in 1874 and operated by the Overland Stage Company. It was acquired by Angelo Zanetta and his partner, John Comfort. As it adjoined the Zanetta House it was easily accessible to the Plaza Hotel. The stables accommodated horses, stage coaches, and supply wagons traveling through San Juan Bautista.
The Zanetta Stable housed the horses of such famous men in the past as President U. S. Grant, John Vincent Astor, Leland Stanford and countless others who had stopped over at equally-famed Plaza Hotel.
Having had a variety of uses and names from the Plaza Livery, Zanetta Stables, and later Plaza Garage, it is now called the Plaza Stables, and was used in a scene from Alfred Hitchcock’s thriller Vertigo with Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak.
To this day the State Park maintains a large assortment of carriages and wagons in the stable. Located behind it are historical replicates of repair workshops once used for manufacturing farm and carriage equipment. Wheelrights, blacksmiths and horseshoers would ply their trades there.